View Single Post
Old
12-01-2012, 12:47 PM
gretzkyoilers

vCash: 500
To give some perspective on the seriousness of Jagr's injury:

http://www.nytimes.com/1999/05/03/sp...-his-pain.html

Quote:
On the brink of capturing their opening-round Stanley Cup playoff series, the Devils were victimized by the Penguin star Jaromir Jagr today. Making an electrifying return from a groin injury that had kept him out of four previous games, Jagr tied the score with a goal late in the third period and sent the Devils to a 3-2 defeat with another goal in overtime.

Jagr took advantage of the Devils' conservative play after they had a one-goal lead and enabled the Penguins to force a seventh and deciding game in New Jersey Tuesday night. The loss was the sixth overtime setback in a row in playoff action for the Devils.

''We were a little stunned and shocked,'' Devils defenseman Brad Bombardir said, ''but this is playoff hockey and things like this happen when you have the best player in the league playing. We can take the blame, though, because we became a little conservative.''

Jagr was hobbled so badly that he could barely stand up on skates before the Devils' 4-3 victory Friday in Game 5. He talked pessimistically Saturday of playing in today's game, but became more encouraged after being fitted with some scuba-diver's pants that provided more support and partly eased the pain.

''I felt pretty good,'' Jagr said. ''The new pants held my leg a little tighter and I felt much better when I skated. That's when I decided to play.''
Wow. You rarely hear of stories like that anymore.

gretzkyoilers is offline   Reply With Quote