View Single Post
Old
12-01-2012, 02:23 PM
livewell68

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDude View Post
That game and that goal was the highlight of my childhood fandom.

Putting aside how he left, I think a team should only consider jersey retirements for players who spend their whole careers with a team, and thus far it would appear the team agrees with me. Hows that a travesty?
Do you realize that in today's NHL, it is extremely rare that a player plays his entire career for one single franchise.

For every Lemieux, Sakic, Yzerman, Brodeur and Lidstrom, there is a Jagr, Bure, Sundin, Gretzky, Chelios, Bourque, Leetch and Roy.

Jagr should have his jersey retired by Pittsburgh no questions asked. He will always be the second greatest Penguins player and that says a lot when that franchise has seen the likes of Coffey, Francis, Kehoe, Lemieux, Crosby and Malkin don the Black and Gold/Yellow.

His PPG as a Penguin is second to only Lemieux, he's second in goals, assists and points in both the regular season and playoffs and he kept that franchise alive during the Lemieux retirement years and for all those reasons he should have his jersey hanging next to his idol and mentor # 66.

#66 anhd # 68 should be side by side.

livewell68 is offline   Reply With Quote