View Single Post
12-01-2012, 05:33 PM
Global Moderator
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
I'd say Yzerman and Francis would have been locks. As Dissonance said Francis maybe waits a bit but that was after his two Cups, his Selke and 2nd in Selke voting, and he already had established huge offensive totals.

Actually looking at it, Joey Mullen and Denis Savard were inducted that year (2000). Francis gets in first ballot. He already had more points then Mullen had in his entire career by the end of the 95-96 season.
Interesting comparisons. I think a lot of people think Mullen's place of birth helped him get in. So Francis would have been 19th in career scoring in 1996. That's pretty crazy, considering he only would have had 2 top 10 finishes in points by then. But you're right, it's probably enough to get him in, though probably not first ballot.

Murphy's a bit trickier as Detroit really helped his legacy. But still, #1 dman on two cup winning teams, and one of the top offensive dmen in the league even if it was a particularly strong era for dmen. He'd get in eventually.
I consider Paul Coffey the #1 on 1991 Penguins. Was Murphy more important than Ulf Samuelsson on either of the Cup wins? His stats were sure better. Murphy is often considered the weakest defenseman to be inducted into the HHOF in the last decade or so, not that he doesn't deserve it, but that the standards for defensemen are that high. I just don't see him getting in without the Cups and stats he got in Detroit.

TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote