Thread: Speculation: Winnipeg Jets 2013 Draft Talk
View Single Post
Old
12-01-2012, 06:37 PM
Bob E

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Don't feel like looking for stats, but I know goalies have a significantly much lower percentages of playing in the NHL and being "impact" in the NHL in the first round than any other positions. Sometimes a goalie does have elite talent and that can't be denied, but as a rule, shy well away from goalies early, IMO, too hard to predict.

I'm against taking a goalie in the first at all, baring a very special case. Fucale or Comrie do not fit that at all, IMO. Neither would rank in my top 30 probably, although it's much too early for me to be posting rankings (I'm no pro scout, I need alot more time than late November). Honestly, I'm not really sold right now that either of those are 1st rounders.

Goalies statistically are alot more unpredictable far harder to predict. Better to throw a bunch of shots in the dark in the 3-7 rounds than to waste a high pick on one, although I am not completely opposed to taking one in the 2nd round, I still tend to shy away from even using a 2nd rounder on one.

Since I really started following the draft in 2006, I'd say only Andrei Vasilevski, Riku Helenius, maybe Jonathan Bernier and maybe maybe Jack Campbell I have ranked in the top 20 overall for goalies.
Ya, I don't think we should take one in the first round either. Early to me was using a 2nd round pick on best goalie available, and maybe getting one of Fucale or Comrie. This draft is much deeper so a player at picks 20-30, may be 'similar' to a player at picks 10-20 in other drafts. i wouldn't take a goalie this year until after 25 or so. But some team, that has no prospects in goal, might.