View Single Post
Old
12-01-2012, 07:15 PM
kihei

vCash: 1002

A Late Quartet (2012), directed by Yaron Zilberman: The four musicians of a famous string quartet of long standing are thrown into a crisis when their oldest member is stricken with Parkinson's Disease. He handles the situation very well but the other three musicians fall apart. This is potentially an interesting plot, well off the beaten path for a Hollywood film, and it should be full of fresh possibilities. But, no, those possibilities are never realized. The script settles for exploring old melodramatic chestnuts like marital strife and inappropriate affairs. Too bad, because when infrequently the movie does focus on the music and the instruments which make that music the film briefly comes alive. The ending, which dots every conceivable "i" and crosses every single "t" is supposed to be emotional in a tony, dignified way, but I thought that it fell flat, too. However, the actors--Philip Seymour Hoffman, Catherine Keener, Christopher Walken, and Mark Ivanir--are so good despite working with a pedestrian script that they almost make the movie worth watching anyway. Walken is deservedly getting a lot of praise for his performance, but I thought Keener was his equal. Outside of maybe John Malkovich, who does bitter intelligence better than she does?

Last edited by kihei: 12-02-2012 at 08:44 AM.