Thread: Matt Frattin
View Single Post
Old
12-01-2012, 08:52 PM
Kulemon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
I've seen the vast majority of his NHL games, and a few of his AHL games, and he's shown serious tunnel vision in most of them. Of course you can find a few good passes, all NHLers make good passes, but compared to other NHLers Frattin is really not a playmaker. That's not to say that he can't improve in this regard, but watch him play and it's clear that he looks very strongly for his shot, and often fails to recognize when his team mates are in good positions. If Frattin had great vision he'd be a good 1st line player, because everything else about his game is great (good skater, excellent shot, strong, solid puck handler, solid 2-way plat), it's his weak vision that makes him more of a "3rd liner with 2nd line upside." I like Frattin, he's a good player, but when he gets the puck his mentality is very similar to someone like Jason Blake.

Just so we're on the same page, when I talk about playmaking/passing, I'm not talking about the ability to hit a target with a pass, all NHLers can do that. I'm talking about his playmaking ability, vision, whatever you want to call it. The ability to consistently recognize when your team mates are in good positions, and to get the puck to them, or to even draw defenders and/or wait out the opposition specifically to put your team mates in good positions. Frattin is legitimately fairly bad at this compared to other NHLers. He can definitely score goals, but he does not use his team mates well.

Again, I do like Frattin as a player, but to say that he's an average playmaker (i.e. better than roughly 50% of all NHLers) is IMO way off.
Considering 50% of NHLers are 3rd and 4th liners and are not relied on for their offense, it's not a far fetched statement.

Kulemon is offline   Reply With Quote