Thread: Speculation: Winnipeg Jets 2013 Draft Talk
View Single Post
Old
12-01-2012, 10:27 PM
Bob E

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweech View Post
How about Jack Campbell, is he a blue-chip prospect?

You're using the term too loosely IMO. Blue-chip shouldn't mean "likely" it should mean for all intents and purposes they're a shoe-in as an impact player for an NHL team. There shouldn't be too many blue-chip players.

I'm all for bpa, but I'm still more comfortable when the bpa turns out to be a forward or defenseman in the first two rounds. Especially when this draft is looking to have great depth and isn't that great goaltender-wise IMO.
When Campbell was drafted, i'd argue he was a blue-chip prospect. To say he wasn't at the time of the draft, would be wrong, imo. He was the top goalie in his draft class. Showed very well at the WJC's for the US team, he was 'pegged' as a future #1 starter. Now, maybe not, though he's still very young.

But you take a chance with all draft picks you make. Some work out, some don't. Whether they work out, that's up to many, many things.

For every Jack Campbell's or Brent Krahn's or Trevor Kidd's there's a Carey Price, MA Fleury, Tom Barrasso or Martin Brodeur -key cornerstone players for their teams - also taken in the 1st round.

Our depth in goal is very weak, imo, i'd rather they take a guy in the 2nd round that is rated somewhat highly going into the draft than a taking a flyer on a guy in the 5th round or later. If all you have is flyers, the chances of some of them working out is pretty slim.