View Single Post
Old
12-02-2012, 03:44 AM
CoolForumNamePending

vCash: 500
Just looking at raw numbers of players you would think Americans would make up a larger share of the NHL than what they do now but I guess as tarheelhockey said earlier there is more to it than just raw numbers. I believe The amount of Americans (in both total numbers and as a %) in the NHL reached an all time high last season and has been trending upwards for a while now. One thing to note though is that much, perhaps even all of those increases seem to be in depth roles.

Taken from another thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolForumNamePending View Post
...As both raw numbers and as a percentage more Americans are playing in the NHL than ever before but the numbers that are in say the top 25, 50, 100 & 200 of the scoring race is pretty much stagnate when compared to a decade ago. Obviously scoring/points isn't everything but I think we can all agree that it is pretty importantant when talking about high end/skilled players.

2011-2012 Season

Total Skaters: 894
American Skaters: 219
% of American Skaters: 24.5

Americans in the Top...
25: 3
50: 8
100: 18
200: 34

2001-2002 Season

Total Skaters: 874
American Skaters: 139
% of American Skaters: 15.9

Americans in the Top...
25: 3
50: 10
100: 16
200: 30

So the increase in the quantity of American talent playing in the NHL has been pretty impressive but it really doesn't seem to have resulted in an increase of high end quality.

I guess it would be fair to point out that I'm comparing this current group of American players to probably at this point the most impressive generation of American players who had their prime from the early 90's up to the lockout.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWings19405 View Post
But then again his name or the OP's point on Pominville that points to another thing, even if the US produces this stud. What are the chances Canadian fans don't claim his grandpas Canadian or he isn't really American? Not great and tiring. Canada has never produced a great basketball player because Steve Nash is South African. See isn't that annoying.
I get your point but Pominville is probably a bad example to use. By the looks of it he is a Canadian born, raised and trained hockey player. A better anology to saying Steve Nash is a South African basketball player would be someone saying Paul Stasny is a Canadian hockey player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock Anton View Post
I don't think so. I think we're much more likely to overtake soccer than hockey. With the influx of Hispanics in the United States, soccer is becoming much more popular, especially at the youth levels (I believe it's the most played sport by kids 10-15). Add in the recent influx of German-Americans playing for the National Team, the talent pool in the U.S. is only going to get better.
Given its international depth no country will ever 'overtake' soccer, not even one as wealthy and large as the US. Regardless of how popular soccer may become in the US the chances of the US 'overtaking' hockey are far greater simply due to hockey's relative lack of depth and competition when compared to soccer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brock Anton View Post
With hockey having a lockout a decade, kids are probably not going to want the instability that goes with the NHL right now. Hockey is life in places such as Canada, Sweden, Finland and so on. They'll continue to churn out star after star, I'm on the opposite side of the equation when I think hockey in the United States is declining (for the lack of a better word) and will continue to. When you add in the new grown fear of concussions, parents are not going to want their sons playing hockey/football when they can go tell them to play basketball, soccer and baseball, which people consider "safer" sports.
How is hockey declining in the US? Just about any meaningful statistic points to it growing.

CoolForumNamePending is offline   Reply With Quote