View Single Post
Old
12-02-2012, 12:05 PM
surixon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
Burmistrov is 1 year older than SC. How can one be the be all and end all future all-star, and the other a potential "maybe"? That's a massive disparity in expectations based on similar seasons. 1 year in age doesn't justify that much variance IMO.

I don't think we should also forget about what happened in the NHL last year and just look at the last 22 AHL games.

Connolly and Niederrider did absolutely nothing last year. After 22 AHL games I have a hard time justifying saying they are passing Burmistrov.

As for getting passed by his peers, Kadri, Glennie, Kassian, Holland, Leblanc, Josefson, Schroeder, Caron, Palmieri, Paradis, and Ashton are all 1st round picks, all a year older than Burmistrov, and all have done less.

And basically everyone from his own draft besides Hall, Seguin, Skinner, Granlund, Tarasenko, and Kuznetsov are behind Burmistrov as well.

I'm not saying Burmistrov is a guaranteed future NHL star who's going to be putting up multiple all-star seasons. Maybe he makes it, maybe he doesn't. Just that ignoring the pretty good season he had last year (even with him probably being physically not ready), and using a 22 game AHL sample size to worry about his lack of growth seems a little needlessly premature. Especially when there are very, very few players in his draft and even the draft before that are outperforming him so far.
Fair enough. My main issue is that Couturier started at the same level as Burmistrov last year as a younger player and so far this year looks to have taken a bigger step forward offensively. IMO he is widening the gap between himself and Burmie. One year can make a massive difference in development if one player improves substantially and the other holds steady.

I agree a number of the players I mentioned performed worse the he did last year, many of which were in their first year of professional hockey and that makes a difference. The most telling sign is that all these guys have taken a step forward this year offensively while Burmistrov has not. You may feel the sample size is too small and that's fine, but if this continues throughout the year are you still going to be happy as more players either close the gap or pass him? I know I won't be, its all about progression and imo he's shown very little of it offensively. You may think I'm being harsh, but I give less leeway to a third year pro than I do to a first and second year pro. In the end I want him to succeed just as much as the rest of you, but I'm not going to pretend that his development is going great, he's starting look more and more like a very good third liner than a top 6 forward.