View Single Post
Old
12-02-2012, 03:39 PM
Cawz

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafOfBread View Post
Whoosh, flew right across your head.

That's not an outlier at all and is reminiscent of the examples given of Ovechkin and Jeff Schultz previously.

When I say outlier, I mean someone who has a high +/- on a bad defensive team that is also low-scoring where many of his teammates are in the negatives.

Or they have a very low negative +/- on a team that is decent defensively and high scoring.

For example, Brett Lebda going -3 in a 9-3 win for the Leafs is indicative of bad defense.

In Justin's case, OKC is tied for 2nd in GF in the West and Justin scores a lot of points and is involved in a lot of goals.

If anything, his +/- is more of a testament to his offensive abilities than his defensive abilities in this case.
OKC is tied for 6th in GF in the west.

And I realize the effect scoring has on +/-. I actually think the stat would be better if they only counted the minuses, with everyone starting the season at zero and going down from there. Since the stat is generally used to look at defense, they should just take out the offensive side.

But as I said, its a flawed stat, like all stats are. But people who simply dismiss it are missing the point.

Cawz is offline   Reply With Quote