View Single Post
Old
12-02-2012, 09:04 PM
That

vCash: 500
3-2 win for Sarnia over Oshawa. What a game that was. One of the best games I've this year. Oshawa dominated Sarnia all night, physically and in shots. However they have to hit the net more. Quite a few of Oshawa's chances missed the net completely. Galchenyuk picked up a goal.

Galchenyuk's first shift was a little rough. He had trouble controlling the puck and was mindlessly skating around without much attention to detail. He then scored off a wicked shot on the PP. That gives him four straight games with a point in the first five minutes (3G, 1A). The game started to get chippy after that, and Hughes even took a run at Galchenyuk. However, he just bounced off and Galchenyuk just kept skating like nothing happened. He had a beautiful pass to Boucher in the neutral zone, showed off some great vision. Throughout the first he struggled a bit defensively. He seemed to get caught up running around after the puck, especially on the penalty kill.

In the second, Galchenyuk played better defensively. As the game picked up intensity he slowed the pace back down every time he went on the ice. He was a calming presence. He had a nice clear on the PK. He came twice to adding another goal two times. One he got robbed on the doorstep and the other it took a funny bounce and he couldn't handle it. He also had a nice behind the back pass in the neutral zone. Galchenyuk had a great rush on 4-on-4 and then used his laser of shot and generated a huge rebound. He could have prevented a goal by simply tying up Sabourin, but he reacted too late. On the PK later in the period, his positioning improved quite a bit and started reading the passing lanes better. He almost got anoter goal late in the second from a terrible angle but it went right through the crease.

The intensity of the game picked up even further, and Galchenyuk's game did too. Galchenyuk almost had another goal on the PP, but couldn't bury it. On that same PP he did some great work along the boards to dig the puck out and create a chance. As time was running out on that power play he got too fancy and turned the puck over to Jenner attempting to hold the zone. Galchenyuk had a filthy feed to Sarault behind the net and behind the back, but Sarault couldn't finish what seemed to be a sure goal. As time was running out in the third he really started to pick up his back checking, he was draped on one of the Generals for his shifts. He broke up a couple of plays by doing it too. With just seconds remaining he had a solid body check along the boards, knocking the player over. He also had a chance at the empty net, but realized it was going to get blocked so he dumped it in instead.

Overall, I really liked his game tonight. He had a plethora of chances, but couldn't quite bury them. I really was pleased with how he handled himself on the ice. As the intensity picked up, he become a calming presence on the ice and really seemed to settle down his team, which would be why he seemed to have play half of the third period. Defensively, he had some struggles early on, specifically with Jenner, but eventually tightened up as the game wore on. Solid game from him. I caught a large amount of OHL games this weekend (thanks pvr) and I think Galchenyuk should win Player of the Week.

-Devil's prospect Reid Boucher had some struggles early on in the game. He was undisciplined and seemed pissed off. He did have a beauty hit however. Tonight he did a fairly good job along the boards and with the puck, but he looked outmatched for the most part. He did a good job protecting the puck and was solid on the PK.
-Charlie Sarault had an interesting game. He wasn't noticeable that much, but when he was playing solid defensively. He did have a few blunders offensively.
-Alex Basso was incredible on the PP all night. He only got one assist, but he was great. He made some very smart plays.
-Shark's prospect JP Anderson was a brick wall again tonight. He's streaky, but when he's on, watch out.
-Davis Brown's play really has seemed to turn a corner since he coming back from injury. He looks great out there. He's playing with a ton of speed and energy and is creating a few chances. He was playing a chippy game too and wasn't afraid of anyone. Had a nice hit.
-Alex Carnevale played his best game as a Sting yet. He finally picked up his first goal as a Sting and also had a solid tilt that was he was on the losing end of. However, he played solid.
-Blue Jacket's second rounder Boone Jenner was awesome tonight. He had a ton of big hits and a beauty snipe. He's a man out there.
-Leafs prospect Tyler Biggs was the weak link for Oshawa tonight. He had a few chances that he couldn't capitalize on, but for the most part he was invisible. I really liked what I've seen of him so far this year, but as soon as the game's physicality picked up he just disappeared. I don't think he hit anyone all night. He also has to keep his head up. I doubt that's really going to affect in the O, but he could have created some more offense if he actually had his head up so he could see his teammates.
-2014 top prospect Michael Dal Colle was great tonight. I really liked his play on the penalty kill especially. He was intercepting passes left, right, and centre. Tons of hockey IQ in a great frame. Very intriguing prospect.
-Cole Cassels is a bit under the radar for this years draft. He's a solid two-way centre. He was great offensively tonight and had good reads defensively. He did take a dive in the third though, I hate seeing that.
-Flyer's first rounder Scott Laughton was great tonight. He was involved all night and played extremely well on the PP. He made good reads when shooting the puck and showed some craftiness offensively too.