View Single Post
Old
12-03-2012, 01:54 AM
Big Phil

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresfan129103 View Post
I just can't see it. Hockey gets so little attention in the States. Also there is not really an American superstar player. The best American is what? Maybe the 20th or 30th best player in the league? I'm not talking about goalies either. Without an American superstar it's tough to sell the game to the non-casual fan/younger kid who is a potential hockey player.
That's the thing. Is Zach Parise the best American? Probably. Thomas and Miller are great goalies, but one is more or less not going to play and the other probably won't even make the HHOF. After Parise it looks bleak and to me there is a major change since the days of: Chelios, Leetch, Suter, Modano, Hull, Tkachuk, Leclair, Lafontaine, Amonte, Weight, Roenick, Richter. Honestly, that line up was around for a long time and it always gave this Canadian a scare.

The current American roster? I don't know, I always felt the Canadian Olympic team in 2010 massively underacheived. That team should have stomped the Americans rather easily. The American roster just doesn't strike fear into me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Just went through the first page and no one mentioned a very important fact IMO, that many hockey players (Canadian/European) end up living in the states and raising their families there. So these are American born and trained kids but they could just as easily have been Canadian/European and come from high end athletic genes.
Good point. But we have seen this pan out already. J-P Parise and Bob Nystrom have American sons and I guess you can count Peter Stastny, but in all honesty we've seen a generation of Gretzky's era and there hasn't really been a standout American from a Canadian father living in the States. Brett Hull, I guess if he counts.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote