View Single Post
12-03-2012, 01:56 AM
Just a Fool
vCash: 500
Originally Posted by Ed Wood View Post
Orr may have had better numbers offensively but Potvin terrified people. The open ice hits I saw him level as a junior were incredible. I saw him play dozens of times and have never seen another junior player as physically domiment. I never actually got to see Orr play at the junior level so that may would prevent me from making as informed a judgement as I would like.
Oh for sure, of that I have no doubt.
There's far too many posters that don't realise how punishing and really, downright nasty Potvin was on top of his great talent.

My father, who used to take me to a ton of Guelph Platers and Kitchener Rangers games when I was a kid, did see both Orr and Potvin in their Junior days.
I gave him a call earlier today and asked him about it.
He said that while Potvin was extremely dominant, Orr was just out of this world and he's never seen better.
Just some back ground on my pop so you know it's not just the opinion of an average fan.
He played Junior himself, has coached hockey at every level up to Junior C and even did some minor scouting part time here and there. His late father, my grandfather, was a goalie that played professionally in the 30's and 40's. He met my grandmother in Sask on a western road trip actually

Anyway, suffice to say, my father has seen a hell of a lot of hockey over the years and more importantly, he understands what he was watching.
He taught me to skate when I was 4 and I became a goalie at 7 because of my grandfather and Ken Dryden of course
I always listen closely to what he says, even when we argue about who was better, Yzerman or Sakic. Although I think that has more to do with his hatred of the Redwings. His love is the Blackhawks and he actually cried in '10.

Last edited by Rhiessan71: 12-03-2012 at 02:04 AM.
Rhiessan71 is offline   Reply With Quote