View Single Post
Old
12-03-2012, 02:34 AM
nowhereman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnewby View Post
I'd say it is absolutely possible. The last olympics showed that the two are not that far a part at all. Both countries have put out some awesome prospects the last few years. If the US was ever to win gold at the olympics it would spark a major point in hockey popularity. It will never be as popular here as in Canada, but the level of play will be very very close.
I don't think the Olympics proves much at all. The Olympics is an incredibly unpredictable format where a single game can dictate the results of an entire tournament. A great golatending performance or a lucky goal, at just the right time, can be the difference between playing for a medal and finishing seventh.

Canada's top-end talent is significantly ahead of the US and the quality of their depth is nowhere near close. If you were to combine Canada and the US's rosters, for an Olympics tournament, I think only a few skaters from the States would make the team (Parise, Kane, Suter, and Kesler). Americans have the clear edge in goaltending but Canada's edge on forward and defense tips the scales very unfavorably for the US. The best forward on the US is probably sixth or seventh on Canada's depth chart and Suter is the only defenseman who I would take over any of Canada's top seven.

Canada's B-team would have players like Seguin, Hall, RNH, Getzlaf, Thornton, St. Louis, Lecavalier, Iginla, Sharp, Lucic, Burrows, Phaneuf, Subban, Green, Staal, etc.

Now, try and make a US B-team.

nowhereman is online now   Reply With Quote