View Single Post
Old
12-03-2012, 01:48 AM
Big McLargehuge
Diving in Head First

vCash: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by damacles1156 View Post
MLS is one of the fastest growing leagues the last few years.

The Premier League is growing viewer ship at a faster rate in the U.S. than other fringe sports.

Soccer is growing pretty rapid lately.
It is growing rapidly, and I'm one of the converts (I thought the sport was boring as hell until about 4-5 years ago...increased availability of the sport, because of TV, the internet, and MLS expansion in the northwest all play into that...my roots are planted as a Galaxy fan, but it was the Sounders that got me to start watching the MLS when I was living in Montana, but it was being able to follow an English club semi-regularly on TV, Tottenham Hotspur, that got me to actually buy into things)...but it's growing so rapidly because it's growing from almost nothing. 200% of 1 is still only 2.

Youth numbers mean little to me. Both my brother and sister played soccer when they were kids and they hate the sport. It was just a cheap and easy way for my parents to get them out of the house for a few hours a week in the summer (I played baseball). Hockey was always my #1 sport but I never played ice hockey competitively because my family couldn't afford it (I played street hockey all the time, mind you, but outside of a couple trips to Play-It-Again Sports my parents didn't shell out much of anything for that). Soccer...one ball, an open field, two nets, boom you're set for a couple dozen kids.

I don't doubt soccer registration outnumbers hockey registration numbers in this country...hell, maybe even in Canada, but that doesn't mean it's instantly those kid's favorite sport.

I want the MLS to do well, I root for it, I may well buy Galaxy season tickets next year...but the MLS is still a very distant 5th in terms of professional team sporting leagues in this country. There's also a lot of people who are watching the European leagues that aren't adopting the MLS way at all. The Sounders may have been the team that got me to pay attention to it, but it was AGF, Tottenham Hotspur, and Barcelona FC that got me to love the sport.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote