View Single Post
Old
12-03-2012, 09:17 AM
uiCk
GrEmelins

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalers Fan View Post
Sorry to pick out a single piece in an argument, but this false assumption always bothers me when I see it. While the 30 NHL teams compete with each other on the ice, they are part of a single business entity known as the NHL, and are 30 franchises within that entity. The Chicago Blackhawks business competition is not the Detroit Red Wings -- it's the Chicago Bulls, Chicago White Sox, Chicago Cubs, and Chicago Bears (plus whatever other area entertainment competition you want to lump in there).

The NFL has the right idea. Their revenue sharing plan ensures that every franchise makes money and keeps the entire business entity strong. It's the reason that one of its franchises can thrive in such a small market as Green Bay. Of course, there is a lot more revenue to go around in the NFL compared with the NHL, so there are other factors as to whether the NHL can survive in small hockey markets like Phoenix. However, the basic concept of who the business competition is doesn't change.
yea well, we are not talking about 1 team. we are talking about multiple teams. FLA x 2, dallas, carolina, phx, nsh .. those are teams who virtually have no market an no actual possible revenues. That's not including the teams who have to compete for a market and teams hit hard by mix of recession and already small market. by market i mean customers, and potential customers.
Their revenue sharing plan, and plans, are there to accommodate past mistakes of over expansion in the league.
At least Green Bay has a market.