View Single Post
Old
12-03-2012, 03:44 PM
Poulet Kostopoulos

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I just don't buy his comment. There is nothing in the WW division. Who's there? Hendricks? Nick Diaz? Not before he climbs back up the ladder. Is that really what needs to be done? After those two, there'll always be someone else.

If GSP was favored to win this fight, I'm pretty sure his decision would be different.

I also found it ironic when he said he wants to be like the Gretzky of the UFC. Well, beating Silva would do exactly just that. Beating Hendricks or Diaz won't do it by lying on top of them for 5 round won't really do that.
Well, the fact that you later commented about the possibility and the interest (from fans) for a Diaz-GSP fight shows there are still fights for GSP in the WM division ---> Still lots of money for him to make. This thing is as much about business (if not more) as it is about records and status in the sport.

Of course if GSP was favored, the decision to fight Silva would have been much easier. That's just common sense. This is much more of a challenge to GSP than it is to Silva and GSP has more to lose than Silva does. So it's completely legitimate to want to take his time and do it on his own terms. I really don't see the problem here.

Wanting to be the Gretzky of the UFC and not wanting to fight Silva in the short term are not contradictions. Better to take your time, make more money and do it on your own terms than to bend to public pressure, take the plunge too quickly, aim too high, screw up and lose everything.

Edit: I just read that the latest rumour has GSP asking for $50M for the fight. If true, not surprised one bit.

"[The source] said that Georges has 10 fights left in his career at $8m a fight. But he believes that Anderson could actually hurt him, could physically hurt him and end his career.

So to take that chance he wants $50m and that's exactly the number he's going to go to Dana White with."

http://www.espn.co.uk/ufc/sport/story/181989.html

Last edited by Poulet Kostopoulos: 12-03-2012 at 04:20 PM.