View Single Post
Old
12-03-2012, 05:04 PM
mattyd99

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Some think the Pope is the last word on the afterlife--they are entitled to think that but it doesn't make it necessarily so--nor the Dalai lama or Billy Graham. Like other publications Forbes is fallible. Forbes has a self-interest as well which tilts towards the most wealthy vs. the lesser wealthy.

Jacobs giving some of that wealth to charity is nice but it also comes with the condition that interested parties are meant to know about it. It needs to be taken for what it's worth. JC in one of his parables pointed out that an old lady giving only a small amount--but a real sacrifice for her was giving much more than a wealthy man giving a much greater amount but with no sacrifice to his lifestyle. By the way I'm a non-believer but there is sense in this.

Losing the hockey season is at stake here. Jacobs seems willing to lose the season just to see if he can force the NHLPA to capitulate. Charity giver or not--the last minute deals to secure some of his biggest assets strikes me as hypocritical--smells bad anyway. Strange to me how anyone can defend him.
I haven't joined in any of these talks yet but something I haven't seen yet is that these wealthy people who donate all this money get tax breaks from it. You give lump sums to charities and receive breaks at the end of the year. I'm not saying this is why Jacobs donates but I feel like this is something that should be noted. However, a guy who taxes his staff on stanley cup rings will not get the benefit of doubt from me. Add on the last second contracts, and the actions during the meetings I can't defend him.