Thread: Olympics: 2014 - U.S. Roster Discussion
View Single Post
Old
12-03-2012, 06:07 PM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulieVegas View Post
The young kids are developing so rapidly, look at how Justin Faulk and Jake Gardiner took the league by storm last season. And Shattenkirk is playing really well, you can make a case he's actually been the best defenseman in that trade.

If EJ does make the team, I think a lot of that the reason will be influenced by the fact he was a #1 overall pick, and people are still star struck by that. But if on-ice play is rewarded over pre-draft pedigree, I don't think he makes it.
No, you really can't make that case. So if you believe it is a credible argument I'm not sure why I'm discussing this with you. Even knowledgeable Blues fans remarked about how they could have used EJ more than Shattenkirk in the playoffs.

Shattenkirk is a great offensive dman and I think he will get a spot over Byfuglien personally, but it won't be at the expense of EJ's position. There really aren't many stud defensive guys coming up from the US program currently other than Jones (whom plays both ends well of course) and it's unlikely he's ready by 2014.

I really don't see it as anyone but Suter, EJ, McDonagh and Carlson (maybe Bogosian but I haven't watched him enough to judge his defensive game) competing for the 2-way/defensive roles. Meanwhile the glut of offensively capable guys will get the other 3-4 roles. Yandle, JJ, Shattenkirk, Byfuglien and an outside shot at Fowler competing for the offensive roles.

Locks imo, Yandle, Suter, JJ, EJ and McDonagh being all but a lock assuming he doesn't have a rough follow-up to last season.