View Single Post
Old
12-03-2012, 09:32 PM
Sartorial
#RegisteredUser

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyzerman View Post
I'm curious about where most of you have Nicholas Petan ranked. Do his numbers thus far not tell the whole story about his game?
I couldn't tell you exactly where I have Petan ranked, but I can tell stats really don't matter all that much.

Yes, goals and assists do matter, because goals and assists help win hockey games. There are things to consider within this.

- What kind of minutes does this player get? Is he on a top line who plays constantly against other teams best defence pairings or does he get lots of "softer" minutes?

- How many of the players points are of consequence to the game? For scouts, there's a huge difference between 3 game winning goals, and goals 5, 6, and 7 in a 7 - 1 blowout, for example. Examining this can tell how "clutch" a player is.

- What's the depth of the players team/quality of opposition like on a given night? Are they constantly winning games in blowout fashion against weaker rivals or are they involved in many close games?

All this, without touching on defensive or physical play, but I hope this answers how stats are often evaluated, or at least gives you something new to chew on

Sartorial is offline   Reply With Quote