View Single Post
Old
12-04-2012, 06:29 AM
Riptide

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie View Post
Give the league 10 years or so and it will probably finds its legs with a real economical system.
I guess it depends on what the end goal is. If it's just another variation of the SEL or one of the Finish leagues, then yes perhaps within 10/15 years - if that's what they're trying for. If it's something that can actually rival the NHL, then no I don't see that happening that soon.

According to a wiki article in 09/10 they had a 200m (rubles) cap floor and a 620m soft cap (5.9 and 18.3m - however am not sure when the article was written, or how the exchange would play out). In 2012 there's also a hard cap at 36.5m.

Now from my very limited knowledge and from the very few things I've read, they do not make a lot off the gate in the KHL. And many of their arena's are smaller/older ones. I would think that's the first thing that needs to change if they actually want to try and support a 6-20m payroll (figure another 2-5m to run the team - at least). Now it's possible that with advertising and whatnot, that they can survive (at least run a break even operation) without a 15,000 seat arena - but I do not see it. They also only play 26 home games.

At some point if this league plans to ever be more than a hobby for the wealthy, they likely need to make changes. Either larger rinks (if that's even feasible, from my very limited knowledge they make/made peanuts on the gate), more home games, or a lower cap (or all 3). So while some will bash the NHL, at least most of it's owners have a chance at coming close to breaking even. I recognize that it's a lot easier to fund 8m in loses (assuming zero revenue) than it is to fund 15-25m on a regular basis... but at some point you have to wonder when one will get tired of writing cheques.

Here's some info taken from the KHL wiki page. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kontinental_Hockey_League. I also grabbed some from the RSL page, however when looking at arena sizes, I deferred to the KHL page/data.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikipedia/RSL
Avangard Omsk won the Russian Superleague in 2004, which qualified them for the inaugural IIHF European Champions Cup. They would be the first winners of that competition, beating Kärpät Oulu from Finland.

The team is not owned by Russian businessman Roman Abramovich as it may be concerned. Russian oil company Gazprom-Neft partly finances the team, but the majority of its budget comes from province tax money
No clue how true that is, or how current that data is... but wow.

Arena size:
HC Slovan Bratislava - 10,115
Vityaz Chekhov - 3,300
HC Donbass - 4,130
HC Dynamo Moscow - 8,700
HC Lev Praha - 13,150
Dinamo Riga - 10,300
SKA Saint Petersburg - 12,300
HC Severstal - 6,064
HC Dinamo Minsk - 15,000
HC CSKA Moscow - 5,600
HC Spartak Moscow - 5,350
HC Atlant Moscow Oblast - 7,000
Torpedo Nizhny Novgorod - 5,500
Lokomotiv Yaroslavl - 9,000**

HC Traktor - 7,500
HC Ak Bars - 10,000
HC Yugra - 5,500
Metallurg Magnitogorsk - 7,700
HC Neftekhimik - 5,500
HC Avtomobilist Yekaterinburg - 5,500
HC Barys - 5,532
HC Amur - 7,100
Metallurg Novokuznetsk - 8,040
HC Sibir - 7,400
Avangard Omsk - 10,318
Salavat Yulaev Ufa - 8,400

HC Lada Togliatti - 6,000 *
Average size: 7,500

* Due to a lack of a satisfactory arena the KHL expelled the team. The team dropped one level to the Russian Major League (VHL) for the 2010–11 season. [Yes I realize there's more to a satisfactory arena than size]

** Club joined the VHL (2nd best Russian league) after the 2011 plane crash