View Single Post
Old
12-04-2012, 08:18 AM
truck
HFB Partner

vCash: 495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Meh, not for me. The DUI issue is a complete non-issue for me. I don't see how it in any way shape or form effects him at this point, nor do I believe that the well "carefully planned coverup" reflects poorly on his character as some have suggested.

But my concerns with him have dated back to last year. Although he had some moments of dominance, with some spectacular saves, he was not nearly consistant enough. Early on in the year I defended him alot. As the year wore on, not so much. He has been fine overall not spectacular. Hard to say, but one might say you can almost see shades of Mathieu Garon. Absolutely spectacular in stretches, but overall unable to put it together over long stretches, particularly when used as a true #1 guy, and results in very pedestrian stats. That being said you could also point to a guy like Luongo, who was back and forth his first few years in NYI with a bad team, broke out with FLA in 00-01 with a .920 in 48gp, before regressing somewhat as the full-time starter in 02-04 (.915, .918), before finally coming into his own in 03-04 (.931 in 73gp), again always with poor teams, ala Pavelec.

Maybe we see that type of progression in Pavelec (although Luongo was better then, even in off-years suggesting a lower ceiling for Pavelec), it is not unheard of for a goalie to take him time adjusting to a starter's role in the NHL. So that's why I say roll the dice with Pav...for now.
I hope so.

Makes me sad that Lu's worst seasons are on par with Pav's best thus far. Then again, Lu is pretty one of the best ever.