View Single Post
Old
12-04-2012, 10:14 AM
Sypher04

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisx101 View Post
Again, not saying Reimer is better, but no one has yet to give me a definitive reason why Bernier is better? They are roughly 5 months apart in age while Reimer is more experienced with the best season to date between the both of them. To be honest i would not even trade Reimer straight up for Bernier because it is a lateral move at best, the fact that people believe a 1st must be added when Bernier has not only not lived up to his draft pedigree, but he hasnt even proved to be better than Reimer, is ridiculous. Even if LA wasnt the best team in the world a few years ago, that doesnt negate the fact that Toronto has been worse the past 2 seasons.
I really don't think the difference between getting consistent starts regardless of play and getting the odd start every few weeks should be understated. Bernier traditionally has been a starter who plays a lot of games, and he's not only been dealing with the adjustment of jumping to the NHL level (like Reimer), but he's also trying to learn how to be a consistent player despite not getting the chance to really get his feet wet. That adjustment process can be a lot longer when you rarely play. Given the circumstances, Bernier's play when he has been called upon has been very good.

Some people hold Bernier's lesser total of games compared to Reimer against him, but really, we're talking about a young goalie roadblocked by arguably the best goalie in the NHL, versus a goalie who has being handed the reins due to a lack of talent in the position.

It's no coincidence that Bernier's best stretch of games in his career to date came during a time when Quick was injured and he was allowed to start several games consecutively.

Sypher04 is offline   Reply With Quote