View Single Post
Old
12-04-2012, 11:41 AM
Breakfast of Champs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Tilander View Post
Well Aaron Ekblad was 6'3 200lbs at like 13 years old, he was definitely that big at 14 lol
Not only was he a mammoth but he got ES after 2 seasons of playing Midget hockey for Sun County. Over those 2 years he played 92 games and had over a 100 points. For a kid with another 3 years of Midget eligibility (technically) and 1 more before his OHL season, he was definitely exceptional.

Connor McDavid is simply exceptional. With the Toronto Marlboros Midget AAA last season he had 33G and 39A for 72 PTS in 33 games. That's large production in that amount of games.

Compare him to John Tavares (Another Exceptional talent for his age) Tavares had 158PTS in 72 Games. It seems like Tavares was way better offensive when you look at 158PTS compared to 72 points but really their points per game was actually 0.0126 points per game apart he was definitely exceptional

This kids weren't just 14 year olds doing well. They were doing the best. Like you said they've done a good job letting guys in who want in when they're exceptional. You just can't deny a guy because last year there was an exceptional player as well, you have to treat each case differently.
I just don't want them to lower their standard of what qualifies just because a player threatens to go NCAA, or they want to make more money, etc.

I know that in NS it was a big deal when Crosby got to play midget as a 14 year old. Ben Duffy was the 2nd to play underage and that was a pretty big deal too. But now, it seems like every year the top 14 year old gets to play, some years even 2 players do. Now when someone in NS is playing at 14 it may just be the case that they are the best in their birth year.

I doubt HC would do this, being a much larger organization than HNS, but no matter how you put it if 3 years in a row has an exception it is going to lose a little bit of its glamour.

Breakfast of Champs is offline   Reply With Quote