View Single Post
Old
12-04-2012, 01:09 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Worters and Lehman seem to have very similar credentials to me. Anyone have any insight into how to seperate them?
Three things that jump out as separating factors:

- Lehman has a big edge in outright longevity. His final full season was at age 41, though I don't have a sense of how well he performed at that age. Worters retired at 36, playing only half of that season. So we could call it a 5 1/2 season longevity gap.

- During Worters' career, there were between 8 and 10 active major league teams per season. During Lehman's Lehman's career, there were between 7 and 10 active teams per season.

^ That superficially looks like equal competition, but I really believe there was a significant difference in the talent supply between the 1910s and early 20s, and the late 20s and 1930s. I'm inclined to have a little more respect for the competition that took place in the consolidated NHL a full generation farther into the future, especially during the Depression when the league contracted slightly.

- We've already inducted two goalies, Vezina and Benedict, who were direct generational competition to Lehman. He would be the clear-cut third of his generation according to our list. Meanwhile we have inducted one guy who I see as Worters' generational peer (Gardiner) and a couple of guys who have some partial overlap (Benedict and Broda). So Worters would also be considered the third-greatest goalie in any given season of his career. Which again sounds equal, except I really do think the increase in player quality was significant between these generations, and in theory our list would reflect that increase proportionally. But that is only an ideal, not a necessity, so I guess it's not the strongest of points. But something to at least have in mind.

Frankly I don't think any of these points are conclusive, which is par for the course in this project. For those who heavily value longevity and quality of competition, each goalie might score some points in this post.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote