View Single Post
Old
12-04-2012, 12:50 PM
Sabretip

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Great plan. Wouldn't you rather have a franchise cornerstone like MacKinnon going forward--say nothing for the metric ****-ton of cap space they'd have to attract free agents--than competing for 8th-10th place with a bunch of veteran retreads? If I'm Toronto, I take my lumps for two seasons, get two elite players in the draft, and then jump headlong into the UFA market.
I can see taking that approach, when the "newness" or novelty of being new in town helps fuel marketing and fan appeal in spite of a losing record - but, with the Leafs being a fixture and mired in endless mediocrity, I'm not sure that an expansion team in the vicinity that ends up being a doormat will attract many fans in the Toronto region (other than maybe Leaf fans looking for cheaper tickets to see their own team play). But maybe that's why Stellick aimed for a low team cap - the need to make money in the first year won't be as crucial to cover the payroll.

By contrast, if the Quebec City team took the approach of tanking its first year to land the top pick, they have the cushion of the first-year love affair and the only team in town helping them sell seats while losing games.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote