View Single Post
Old
12-04-2012, 01:53 PM
Fantomas

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
Well that's just it, Russia's and USSR strength in prior years has always been players who matured early and played in RSL/2nd teams (also vs professionals). I'm talking about Kovalchuk, Ovechkin, Afinogenov, Mogilny, Bure and even Bragin year teams (late 70's). If you know the history of these teams, you will know that there was no junior league in Russia before, and nearly all youths played with professionals (for the 2nd teams). And we know that Russians have historically won A LOT of WJC tournaments this way.

The drop came after the 05, which as we know was a disastrous production year for Russian hockey and the severe negligence of the 90's was at fault.

There are a ton of interviews from WJC coaches stating that preference is always given to KHL players for obvious reasons.
I would very much like for Russia to keep its players, but it is not currently happening at a preferable rate. Which is why I draw two conclusions which are unfortunately eluding the biased Russian posters here:

- there are very good players leaving the country to play in the CHL and they deserve fair consideration - keeping them off the rosters will not make the team better

- keeping these players at home is vital, but heaping blame on them for leaving is not productive - players are leaving because Russian hockey clubs provide insufficient incentives for them to stay; cater to the youngsters to stay, provide them with scholarships and they will stay.

Fantomas is offline   Reply With Quote