Old
12-04-2012, 02:18 PM
Holden Caulfield
The Eternal Skeptic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan34222 View Post
just for conversation

what would you consider Hamilton, a small/large market?

would you consider it small since the city itself is only 520000? or a large market due to its location in Southern Ontario?
Not sure if this is directed at me but...

I would consider Hamilton mid to large for sure, although it is hard to be sure until a team has moved there. Hamilton may only be 520k, but there are what, 8 million people within a hour drive? I don't have any census statistics, but google is telling me Toronto proper is less than an hour, nevermind Mississauga and the rest of the suburbs around there (Southern Ontario is not a particular strength of mine geography wise). Toronto is already there and well established which will hurt the market considerably, but I think that there's more than enough people there for large market, depending on how much the team is able to carve out a nice in Southern Ontario taking away some Leaf fans. So at LEAST a mid market team, with pretty easy potential to be a large market team, IMO.

My personal criteria is a mixture of population, population density, corporate support, and hockey interest to decide what would be a small/mid/large hockey market. For example, I still think Los Angeles is just a mid market, and Anaheim is just is a small market. Difference between both of them and say Winnipeg, is that they both have the potential to be large markets, Winnipeg doesn't.

Holden Caulfield is online now   Reply With Quote