Top 5 Most Iconic People in Hockey
View Single Post
12-04-2012, 02:20 PM
Join Date: Sep 2009
Originally Posted by
Exotic, but... for Germany:
1. Erich "der Lange" (="Hightower") Kühnhackl. Bronze medal at the 76 Olympics and leading scorer of the WC 78. The official "german ice hockey player of the century". Rumour says he turned down offers by the Rangers and Habs in the 70s.
2. Xaver Unsinn. Coach of Germany's national team in 1964, 1975 to 1977, 1981 to 1990. Bronze medal at the 76 Olympics. Even more famous for his trademark Houndstooth Hipster Hat.
3. Uwe Krupp. Colorado Avalanche. 1996. 'nuff said.
4. Josef "Jupp" Kompalla. Most famous/infamous german referee of all time.
5. Robert Müller. Gifted goalie, diagnosed with brain tumor in 2006, recovered and came back 2007, but died 2009, age 28. His number 80 is retired by the german major leage DEL.
Dennis Seidenberg (SC-Winner with Boston)
Joseph "Peppi" Heiss (Goalie)
Udo Kießling (Germany's Bobby Orr)
Hans "Alps Volcano" Zach (famous coach)
Peter Draisaitl (anyone remember the penalty shot against Team Canada at the 92 Olympics? The horror, the horror!)
I was going insane, even though I bet money on Canada (who wouldn't have?)
View Public Profile
Find More Posts by Eisen