View Single Post
Old
12-04-2012, 02:46 PM
STL fan in IA

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
Seeing Jaskin's development this season underscores why that 2011 draft was the perfect draft to lose a first and have three early seconds. From roughly 20-50, each of those guys could've gone in the first round, as they were roughly on the same plateau. It was up to scouts to distinguish where the real value was and the Blues snagged Rattie and Jaskin who have each emerged in juniors to look like shoulda-been first rounders.

Let's look at the guys taken after Baertschi:

14. Jamie Oleksiak (DAL)
15. J.T. Miller (NYR)
16. Joel Armia (BUF)
17. Nathan Beaulieu (MTL)
18. Mark McNeill (CHI)
19. Oscar Klefbom (EDM)
20. Connor Murphy (PHX)
21. Stefan Noesen (OTT)
22. Tyler Biggs (TOR)
23. Joe Morrow (PIT)
24. Matt Puempel (OTT)
25. Stu Percy (TOR)
26. Philip Danault (CHI)
27. Vladislav Namestnikov (TB)
28. Zach Phillips (MIN)
29. Nicklas Jensen (VAN)
30. Rickard Rakell (ANA)
31. David Musil (EDM)
32. Ty Rattie (STL)
33. Rocco Grimaldi (FLA)
34. Scott Mayfield (NYI)
35. Tomas Jurco (DET)
36. Adam Clenending (CHI)
37. Boone Jenner (CBJ)
38. Magnus Hellberg (NSH)
39. John Gibson (ANA)
40. Alexander Khokhlachev (BOS)
41. Dmitrij Jaskin (STL)
42. Victor Rask (CAR)
43. Brandon Saad (CHI)
44. Brett Ritchie (DAL)
45. Marcus Granlund (CGY)
46. Joel Edmundson (STL)
47. Matthew Nieto (SJ)
48. Xavier Ouellet (DET)
49. Christopher Gibson (LAK)
50. Johan Sundstrom (NYI)

That group looks pretty strong thus far in its collective development. Blues certainly did as well as anyone.
Yeah. I think the Blues did really well in the 2011 draft. We're still years away from seeing what it produces but as things look now, I really like their draft. I would've taken Ouellet over Edmundson but I still think Edmundson has a good shot of developing into a defensive d-man. Assuming Rattie and Binnington make Canada's WJC team, of the 8 kids the Blues drafted in 2011, 4 will make their respective WJC teams (those two plus Jaskin and Lundstrom) and you can add a 5th in Eronen as he played for the Finns in the WJC a couple years ago. Of the other 3, I've already mentioned Edmundson but Veilleux and Tesink are showing a good amount of pro potential too.

I'll also note that the player the Avs took at 11th overall in 2011 (the Blues pick they traded to the Avs as part of the EJ trade with the Avs 2nd rounding going to the Blues which they used to pick Rattie), Duncan Siemens, has only been so-so since the draft and wasn't even invited to Canada's WJC camp. I never understood the hype on Siemens that year. I think I had him rated around 20th that year but the Avs targeting him at 11 was one of the worst kept secrets of the draft. Oh well. Of course, had the Blues kept that pick, I hope they would've selected Sven Bartschi (who went 13th to Calgary) as no offense to Rattie but I'd certainly take Bartschi over him. The Blues got VERY good value out of that draft and the EJ trade IMO.

Last edited by STL fan in IA: 12-04-2012 at 02:56 PM.
STL fan in IA is offline   Reply With Quote