View Single Post
Old
12-04-2012, 04:07 PM
Ola

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
it's not currently a viable business.

it is currently held together by billionaires enabling it through their largesse.
I get your point, but one thing needs to be added, with all due respect, its an irrelevant argument. Completely.

How much of a viable business is the Premier League? Barcelona? What factors are included when the KHL is deemed not to be a viable business? Because unlike some hint above, I certainly belive those mentioned to be pure business.

If I walk down the road and finds a wallet on the pavement with 100 bucks in it, unless people loose a ton of wallets in that area I can't expect to make a living that way. But if I bring a guitar and sits down on the pavement and plays a song and day after day collects 100 bucks in a hat I've put on the ground infront of me -- isn't that an income as good as any from a financial point of view atleast?

In Soccer this is more obvious. A Russian oligark, an Thai former prime minister, or whatever, can all of a sudden be put in prison in their home country and while there might be a line or two written about it in the press in the outside world, it basically disapears in a very black hole. But if the same guy owns a big Premier League team, or imagine the same guy owning the Yankees or like the 49ers or something, it would become a story in international media that never would go away. You know, just like you can sell 10.000 hot dog for 10 bucks 18 or 40 times per season, you can sell an alibi for a billion a year. What if you are a Saudi prince who want to do business in Europe, you certainly meet a lot of other billioneers if you own a Premier League club. If you hire a lobbyist to get to meet 15 billioners 10 times per year, what would that cost you? Seriously, anything can be had for money, but what would it cost?

And in the KHL, on diffrent levels, the same applies. Just like it does in the NHL or the SEL. The NHL has become a viable business because the owners has been able to take reverse advantage of laws aimed to protect workers, but that applys to 6 years of a business that has been around for almost a 100.

Not a single KHL team has found a wallet when walking down the street. There has been, there is, and I see no reason for why it will not be in the near future atleast, a reason for people to put money into clubs in that league. Hence that money is also part of the equation.

Last edited by Ola: 12-04-2012 at 04:16 PM.
Ola is offline   Reply With Quote