12-04-2012, 05:08 PM
jfb392

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by wings5 View Post
you're joking....
Nope, unfortunately I'm not:
Quote:
MatthewWGR @BuffNewsVogl FYI Ron Rolston told me yesterday he believed Zemgus was going to stay in the AHL
http://twitter.com/MatthewWGR/status/276068716880474113

I'm sure he regrets not going to UVM and going all Wheeler/Schultz on their *****.
They convinced him he was ready for the AHL and possibly the NHL based on a summer development camp against his own peers and got him to sign a contract, then basically threw him in purgatory.
You'd think that they'd want to give their most recent first round pick that they traded up to select every opportunity to succeed, but they do a lot of things that don't make sense (like having the same man as coach for 15 years now).

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolForumNamePending View Post
Just looking at the situation from a distance and probably with a whole lot of ignorance (please feel free to educate me) Buffalo's handling of him to this point seems weird. An 18 year old jumping from the USHL to the AHL... How often do you see that? Does Buffalo dislike the univesity route that much? I haven't seen him play but his stat line isn't impressive in the least. How much ice time is he getting? Would getting big minutes/'go-to-guy' role (I assume) in a tournament against his peer group really be that bad? Is Buffalo's goal to have him top out as a 4th liner?
Well, as far as I know, an 18 year old had never jumped from the USHL to AHL prior to this and teams looking to try it should use Girgensons as a case against attempting it.
They don't dislike the college route but UVM isn't the best program out there.
However, it's still better than throwing the kid in a situation he's not ready for.

He started out on the third line in Rochester and was useless and his linemates generated seemingly every chance without him, then was moved up to the second line after injuries and continued to look out of place and had no scoring touch, even with PP time.
He also often ended up on the bad end of hits and was injured after being destoryed by Adam Larsson (may have happened a few games prior when he was destroyed by Hugh Jessiman twice on the same shift, but the Larsson hit was the one credited for taking him out) and is still currently out with an "upper body injury".

At this point, yes, it looks like the Sabres are grooming him to be a fourth liner with zero scoring touch.

Last edited by jfb392: 12-04-2012 at 05:17 PM.
jfb392 is online now   Reply With Quote