View Single Post
Old
12-04-2012, 04:25 PM
sepster

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
The economic impact of sports stadiums on a city economy is debatable.

Ilitch could stick it in a suburb, but he has so many Detroit officials in his backpocket that it would be silly to move it to a suburb.

Given the existing conditions of Detroit, I can't see how anyone can justify diverting scarce resources away from core city services.

Let's cut back some more on police and fire and schools and social services so that a bunch of rich, suburban white guys can drive to Detroit and watch hockey.
DDA money is not available to the city as general funds, so it won't go to PD, FD or schools anyway.

Add that to the fact that the people who run the city and distribute general funds are more dishonest/inept/corrupt than anyone involved with this new development, I say keep the money as far away from them as possible.

There are a lot of great things going on in the city, I hope and pull for its continued revival. But, every tangible amount of progress is happening due to people like Ilitch, Gilbert, Penske and the like (private sector business). The people who run the city do nothing but obstruct. EX: Belle Isle Lease situation.

sepster is offline   Reply With Quote