View Single Post
Old
12-04-2012, 08:45 PM
Roof Daddy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
I still have Morrow ahead of Johnson. I'm always wary whenever pitchers have one outstanding statistical season followed by a letdown. Pedigree is fine (which is has in spades) but do it again. His career ERA suggests that he's a horse, though.

Morrow was fantastic whenever he pitched in '12 and finished with a 10-7 record despite the Blue Jays' tailspin. He's still the cornerstone of the rotation as far as I'm concerned.
Wouldn't Morrow be more of a one season wonder than JJ? Consider their career stats heads up...

Johnson 56W - 37L 3.15 ERA, 1.23 WHIP, 832K's in 916 IP

Morrow 39W - 37L, 4.10 ERA, 1.33 WHIP, 693K's in 648 IP

I would say they are close, both power pitchers, and Morrow has the more dominant stuff, but JJ has better feel and pace. When Morrow is missing his spots and gets lit up with the long ball he completely unravels (though he was much better at maintaining composure last year vs previous years). JJ is more likely to keep you in the game even when his stuff isn't on or he is missing his spots. With the offence the Jays should have, I'd prefer a battler as the ace. At the end of the day though you can't go wrong with either one, and Morrow is coming off a career year.

Now, with that said, there were some rumblings the Jays may go all in for next season and try to acquire RA Dickey. On Sportsnet they talked about the Mets possibly moving him because he has 1 year on his deal and they have numerous holes to fill, namely Catcher. Arencibia was mentioned as the price tag, possibly a prospect or two attached as well. Not sure how I feel about that though, guess it comes down to where they see D'Arnaud fitting in both the present and future.