Old
12-04-2012, 09:17 PM
Bender
TheHockeyProspector

vCash: 7658
Quote:
Originally Posted by chet1926 View Post
Food for thought:

Since 1996 there have only been 2 dmen drafted #1 overall, 2006: EJ, 1996: Chris Phillips, neither has (to this point) or did live up to being the #1 pick.

You just don't take dmen #1 overall, stats will back me up on this one. I like Seth Jones a lot but he isn't worth a #1 overall pick. There is only one right answer and that is MacKinnon.
As long as it's your opinion based on having watched them BOTH play rather than the silly notion that 'you just don't draft d-men' with the #1 overall pick. Just because there haven't been many #1 overall D-men, it doesn't mean that it shouldn't happen. You pick the best prospect based on who will end up the best player according to your scouting assessment.

It's thankful you stopped at 1996 cuz if I was drafting in 1992, I'd probably pick Pronger (#2) ahead of eventual #1 Daigle, in hindsight.

Jovanovski in 1994 was a good pick based on the career he's had and compared to the rest of that first round. (toss up between him and Ryan Smyth)

In 1995, Berard was a decent choice based on the rest of that draft up until he had his eye accident. Iginla (#11) is the obvious 1st rounder here but that can be done for so many drafts.

There just haven't been many D-men even worthy of #1 conversation in recent years based on who else has been available for those drafts.

- Doughty is a sure-fire #1 overall if not for Stamkos.
- Hedman probably goes #1 if not for Tavares

After having seen both guys play several times, my personal preference is with Seth Jones. Don't get me wrong, I like MacKinnon a lot but I see a lot of similarities with Phil Kessel rather than ones with Crosby whereas with Jones, I see him as a mix between Erik Johnson and Drew Doughty.

Bender is offline   Reply With Quote