View Single Post
Old
12-05-2012, 12:02 AM
XX
Avoiding the Cap

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
You are allowed to have your opinion, but of the nine other Best Picture nominees in 2009, what do you consider better than The Hurt Locker? It was a weak year.
I find the Hurt Locker to be disturbingly unauthentic. That's why it bothers me, and why I think that movie gets way too much praise. Some of the scenes absolutely bother the **** out of me and my penchant for realism in a war setting film. Hopefully Zero Dark Thirty is different, because of the source material (stuff like No Easy Day) it is based on. Here's hoping they hired some decent coordinators to make sure everything looks right. Scenes like the .50 cal sniper crap in Hurt Locker were terrible and undercut the movie. Boal better not pull stuff like that out of his ass for this movie. Expectations are a lot higher.

Quote:
I don't get why you think Hollywood loves Bigelow. She had never even been nominated before, and this was her first movie in 7 years. I really don't think anyone cared about her sex.
She was the first woman to win. I think there's bias there because she is also directing a movie in a genre that would traditionally not be associated with a woman. I am really curious to see how ZDT turns out, as by all accounts it's a pretty dramatic step forward from Hurt Locker. Don't get me wrong, the latter is a terrific movie, but the praise heaped upon it is misguided.

Quote:
You might have a case for Original Screenplay, but is your opinion really that strong on its wins in Sound Editing and Mixing? I assume you meant only the major awards.
Sound mixing should have gone to Star Trek or Transformers, in that order.

XX is offline   Reply With Quote