Thread: Signing(s): Scutaro to Giants
View Single Post
Old
12-05-2012, 04:49 AM
HabsByTheBay

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grillinnap View Post
I meant to say dead last in home runs. Their pythagorean W-L suggests that their offense could use some help next season.

And you do realize that the "big names" only arrived after the first half of the season, right? The Dodgers were the ones that were dead last in home runs and runs scored at the time. But after those trades, they hit more home runs than the Giants and jumped to 26th in runs scored.
Dude, park effects.

The Giants play in one of the worst places in baseball to hit, and I believe the single worst stadium for home runs. They hit 31 home runs at home for the entire year. They led the National League in runs scored on the road.

The reason their pythag wasn't great was because the pitching staff was nowhere near as good as casual, mainstream fans thought. Lincecum was the worst starter in the NL, Vogelsong and Bumgarner both had some pretty bad stretches and the revived Barry Zito was the same crappy Zito as ever, he just finally got the rub of the green when it came to wins. The bullpen was still good but weaker than previous years, with Beard blowing out his elbow.

I'm a little concerned that Sabean seems to be repeating the same MO as in 2010 - let's get the band back together! - but I am not terribly concerned by the offense. It should be fine.

HabsByTheBay is offline   Reply With Quote