View Single Post
Old
12-05-2012, 05:23 AM
ginner classic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisx101 View Post
I honestly have no idea, their fans keep repeating how they want a solid second line C, or if they form a deal in which a 2nd line C is coming their way then they expect Kesler to be moved to wing. Not sure why, and cant fathom how that would be at all beneficial, but hey if their fans think itll happen then who am i to argue.
Can I explain?

1.) Kesler is hurt to start the year (that wasn't) so we needed an understudy
2.) Some Canuck fans have a myopic focus on a third line center being a checking line role
3.) We don't even have a NHL calibre third line center regardless if they are defensive or offensive. I think Malhotra has declined due to the injury and Lappy is better as a utility guy that can play anywhere on the bottom six.

Getting back to point #2.....I have no idea why this belief is still held to this day that a third line center (in minutes played) has to be a defensive oriented center? To me if you have a Jordan Staal or a Ryan Kesler as #2, your third center can be a pure offensive force, that forms the backbone of your second unit power play. Vinnie's stubborn insistence on playing a defensive 3C means we have one center that can play on the PP (Kesler plays RW on the top PP). The rest are crap. It also IMO led to the decline of both the PP and overall GF in the last half of the season and playoffs. The Canucks scoring record after Hodgson was traded was abysmal.

Hope that helps.