View Single Post
Old
12-05-2012, 05:27 AM
IslesNorway

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
thanks for the input.

I agree that highlights are definitely biased. Just seemed that some of the goals that were scored had MOSTLY stoppable shots, maybe it was just a small sample size.

I'd agree with you that the depth on defense (even the bottom six forwards) is likely the biggest difference in some of the european leagues. Fact is, internationally, the teams that come from Europe are pretty damn good (Switzerland is getting much much better, Finland has improved drastically in recent years, Russia, Sweden, Czech, Slovakia can beat anyone, anytime.

But in league play, you can see the talent level is pretty diluted. I've watched a few streams of the KHL and I've seen JT play 2-3 times (not just highlights) and the level of play is pretty good. But it's pretty clear the top players are far better than the bottom ones.
Which is the exact reason why smaller nations such as Slovakia or Switzerland is even able to compete. They produce enough good players on a steady basis to stay fairly close to the likes of Canada or Russia on an international level, but the lack the depth those nations have. At the Olympics Canada could easily field four or five teams capable of winning.

IslesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote