View Single Post
Old
12-05-2012, 08:18 AM
Paradise
Individual thinker

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
I wouldn't be shocked if Canada wins a gold medal. I wouldn't be shocked if Canada fails to get out of the quarterfinals. This is team is just in the pack this year, plenty of teams with a chance. Hell the Slovaks and Swiss haven't even released their rosters, they won't be pushovers either, although likely not on the level of the CAN, USA, FIN, RUS, SWE, CZE those teams might surprise.

Oh, so we would have a dominating team if we had our NHL players...well except this one year we actually get them, this one just doesn't count.
2005 only gave the team Patrice Bergeron, if you look at the roster the rest of the team was not going to play in the NHL that year. Not one other one. Canadians like to point to that as "look if we had all of our players we'd win every year". I don't believe this at all. Like you said every year is different. That was just a ridiculously deep roster that year. You think Bergeron was the difference? I don't. It was simply a strong year.
My point being, the guys in the NHL and therefore not eligible for the WJC have very little effect on the rosters, IMO.
I really think you're understating Bergeron's importance on that team. He was easily the best player in the tournament. He was the MVP. You make it sound like he was "just another player". Canada had a great, deep team that year and he was by far the the best player on that team. His performance was one of the best I've seen in the 20+ years I've watched the WJC.