View Single Post
Old
12-05-2012, 07:43 AM
Mike Farkas
Hockey's Future Staff
Moron!

vCash: 500
Defensive team promoted to Elitserien

After making it to the promotional playoffs last year (or relegation playouts if you're an Elitserien team) but falling short, I re-tooled a little bit and put together a decent defensive squad on the cheap (budget ~$500,000 in a league where some teams can spend $200K, $250K, even $300K on individual players!) and was awarded with a promotion to Sweden's top league!

The goalies:

Modig: Is top-3 in the league attribute-wise more or less. So he's quality.
Steen: Graduated from the junior system and despite far worse attributes, held right with Modig - and unfortunately, Steen gave up two late goals in the last game of the regular season or their numbers would look very close.

Near the halfway point of the season...

And after the season finale...

For those that don't know. Just briefly, in the Elitserien (top Swedish league) the worst two teams play the best four teams from HockeyAllsvenskan (second tier Swedish league) in a 10-game, basically, round-robin tournament. The two best teams go (or remain) to the Elitserien, the remaining four are subjected (back) to the second-tier league.

Modig started out 3-0-2 through 5 games with 0.97 GAA and .960 save pct. but hit some bumps after that and finished with pretty similar numbers to the regular season when the 10 games were finished. I think a 1.56 GAA and 0.931 save pct. or something along those lines. Good enough to earn promotion (not easy with limited funds and the inability to make moves during the regular season). Additionally, in the 10 games against quality competition, we had a 100% penalty kill.

This is one of my bigger defensive successes on a large rink. Normally, I don't quite do as well on these big rinks.

One other interesting fact from the season. My second line center had 29 assists and 36 points (despite only having an "8" for passing - low, even for this league)...the assists put him 2nd in the entire league and not a single point came on the power play or shorthanded.

Anyhow, back to your regular scheduled offense...

Last edited by Mike Farkas: 12-05-2012 at 08:03 AM.