View Single Post
Old
12-05-2012, 10:46 AM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

vCash: 500
I'm also fine with the Victorino signing because I can see what they're thinking.

Right now the team is in flux. People can be pessimistic and that's fine, but the truth of it is that we have no idea what we're going to be like next year. Setting the team up with versatile players that can be used in a number of ways makes sense depending on which kids earn promotion in the next couple years. So we sign a guy like Victorino who can slide into center if we need to make a move. We sign a guy who can play 1B and catcher and hits well enough to DH, and we add Gomes, who isn't versatile, but is an underrated bat.

And the other key about these players is that they shouldn't be impossible to move. None of them are so overpaid that another team might not find them useful, if, say, Bradley and Brentz both turn out to be ready for big league time before the contracts expire. Or if Jerry Sands turns out NOT to be overrated by his PCL time.

I expect similar moves with the pitching as the team looks for flexible players who won't be hard to move. Lannan makes a lot of sense in that department.