View Single Post
Old
12-05-2012, 09:58 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
I don't see why the NHL teams wouldn't let the players play in the WJC even if a deal is done before. It'll be better for them if you ask me.
I'm sure they'd like/hope to, but there are lots of things that get in the way. If these players really are good enough to contribute to their NHL teams this year, can they afford to miss them for 5-6 games of a compressed schedule if the lockout ends? Backing up, though, teams want to see these guys in camp before having to decide if they're going to stick with the big club permanently for the season. Under the old rules, these decisions had to be made by a certain date (I might be wrong, but I think the WJC timing surpasses the limits under the old rules), but teams don't even know what the rules considering eligibility will end up looking like in the new CBA, so they might not even be able to "fully release" their junior-eligible players when all is said and done. Others have brought up injury concerns, which are legitimate, but likely not anywhere near a "real" concern aside from guys like RNH who are known to be recuperating from injury.

That's why no teams have issued statements "officially releasing" any of these players, even though we know there will be NHL draft picks suiting up for Team Canada at the end of the day, regardless - it just remains to be seen which ones.