View Single Post
Old
12-05-2012, 11:00 AM
dean youngblood82
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavy16 View Post
How brutal is it that USA hockey didn't invite Reid Boucher to their selection camp...he's 2nd in points in the OHL for US born players behind Alex Glachenyuk...guess it's not a good idea to select players that already have some chemistry
Lavy, I am not surprised at all to be honest. As good as Boucher has been this past month, it comes down to a numbers game and all of the invites were very deserving. What complicates it even more is that USA named a 27-man preliminary roster where only 2 forwards and 2 defensemen will be cut. At this moment, I don't see Boucher making a top-6 role on Team USA (too deep) and that's the role he would need to play. He has great sniping abilities but (as Sting fans have seen in the past) he is wildly inconsistent from game-to-game. Right now, Boucher's as hot as they come so it's hard to fathom him being left off but the World Juniors is too short of a tournament for a player as inconsistent and hot-and-cold as Booch.

If USA named an expanded roster (like Canada's 37 man squad) then I guarantee that Boucher is included. Since they are only making a few cuts, he was a player that could be left off. There are just more consistent and more versatile forwards available for those slots.

It's a shame based on his stellar play and he's certainly a game-breaker but I think USA Hockey weighed the risk of his hot-and-cold play and made the right decision.

We'll see if it pays off. It certainly helps Sarnia as he can now dress for them while Gally and Murphy (probably) are away at the WJC.