View Single Post
Old
12-05-2012, 10:45 AM
Czech Your Math

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theokritos View Post
Talking of what should be, though not necessarily of what is: performance during the lockout should be taken into consideration. Datsyuk played for Dinamo Moscow in 2004-05 when they won the Russian championship and he was honored as MVP of the regular season as well as MVP of the playoffs. So he basically led Dinamo to a championship in a league that was stacked with more than 70 NHLers plus a lot of good domestic players (including Alexander Ovechkin, just one year away from his impressive NHL debut). I think he deserves some credit for that.
I think there should be a realistic credit of what "probably would have been" based in large part on "what was."

In Datsyuk's case, he was 26, healthy, ~PPG player around the time of the lockout (less before, more after), and was productive for most (~80%) of a full season in the highest quality league available. So I would agree he deserves full credit for a very good NHL season (65 games at ~PPG with excellent defense).

Was Datsyuk really voted MVP of RSL in 2005? I'm surprised, since he played 47/60 games.

Czech Your Math is offline   Reply With Quote