View Single Post
Old
12-05-2012, 12:15 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 1379
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourn View Post
Juxta, you're missing the point. There is a difference between not needing a player and not having a use for them. Could Anaheim use Petry? Absolutely they could, and their blue line would be better because of it. Does that mean they need him, and more importantly, do they need him at the expense of the players they are giving up? That is a big "Hell no!" They have spots filled on their blue line for the immediate, as well as young D who continue to be, or will soon be, a part of their defense in the future. This includes Luca Sbisa who is two years younger than Petry, and is a better defenseman than Petry was when he was Sbisa's age. I certainly won't say Sbisa is better now, as Petry is handling more responsibility than Sbisa, and he's doing a good job at it. Beauchemin was a pretty foolish argument though. But I digress. The point isn't that they couldn't use him, but that they don't need him at the expense of someone like Getzlaf or Perry. With the continued improvement of Fowler and Sbisa, Vatanen, the newly drafted Lindholm, and the veterans they have now, the Ducks are not in desperate need of help on the blue line for the foreseeable future. It may not be a strength right now, but it's moving in the right direction.
In no way was I saying that the Ducks should accept the proposed trade. It's awful for them for sure. Yeah, I understand that Petry is a paltry return for someone of Getzlaf's caliber.

But at the same time, you put too much faith into prospects. Beauchemin's 32, and not the type of player who will be playing at a high level into his late thirties. So basically you're assuming that all of Lindholm, Sbisa, and Vatanen will be quality top-4 defensemen, and that one of them will be a capable top-pairing defenseman. Yes, they're all great prospects. But they're just that. Chances. Futures. Potential. Petry is a young, top-4 blue-liner with size, speed, and strong two-way play. If you could get him in a fair deal that didn't involve RPG, there's no reason not to be all over it. Worst comes to worst, you trade one of those prospects for a need. You don't not trade for a player only because he fills a need. That's not a good way to run a team. The Sharks desperately needed defensemen when they traded Brad Stuart for Joe Thornton, but that worked out pretty well.

But I digress. It's your team, you'd know it best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MessierII View Post
Based on what? Edmonton is an up and coming contender with a serious opportunity to win a cup in a few years. That's attractive to UFA's Schultz proved that.
Based on several facts.

1, Getzlaf is almost certainly going to stay with Anaheim, presuming they don't lowball him. 2, if Getzlaf decides to leave, there will be an all-out bidding war, and there will be tons of teams needing a big playmaking #1C that will be desperate for his services. If Parise got $7M+ for 13 years, imagine what Getzlaf will feel he deserves. You're acting as though you believe Getzlaf will specifically want to sign with the Oilers out of all 30 teams and will also take a discount to do so, which is laughable. So yeah, there's almost no chance Getzlaf signs in Edmonton.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote