View Single Post
Old
12-05-2012, 11:46 AM
piqued
Global Moderator
victory green?

vCash: 27750
It's an interesting question of what exactly you do about Roy if there's no season to gauge how he fits here.

To feel comfortable letting him walk I think we'd need to see even more offense out of Eakin the rest of the way in the AHL. I think Eakin can eventually be a 2nd line center but he may not be ready for that role by 2013-14. If your centers are Benn/Roy/Eakin/Fiddler you can look at that and say the position is a strength.

So do you offer him a deal around what he's making now at 4 million? It's hard to get a sense for how much in demand he'd be around the league if he were to hit the open market. If the lockout isn't resolved until the summer it's possible that a glut of free agents would all hit the market at once which would help drive down any potential demand.

I do think it's reasonable to expect Roy to give Dallas the inside track and likely stay if he's offered a competitive deal. By all accounts it seems the Stars have treated him very well and took his best interests to heart. He's one of the few players who's still getting paid through all this . How many players spend time skating with their GM? That can't possibly hurt any negotiation.