View Single Post
Old
12-05-2012, 12:20 PM
Yakushev72

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessly Snipes View Post
Do I think Canada is a better hockey country than Russia, Yes, but not by as wide of a margin as many like to think.

Now that that is out of the way, I wasn't disputing anything about Russia/Canada hockey superiority. It was purely disproving your "facts" You stated that Canada had a core group of players over the entire SSS with a few outliers.

And that Russia used different players in all 6 games.

Which also isn't true. The numbers are pretty clear cut.

Now if we want to get into who is superior... to your last comment, what if Russia wins by 1 goal? Superiority or no?

In my books there is always 1 top dog, and that is the team that wins the most. And over the past 20 years, there has been one country to prove this time and time again on the biggest stages.
Is Russia superior if it beats Canada by 1 goal? Of course not.

From the 1970's through the early 1990's, Canada and the Soviet Union were dead even at a minimum. From 1992 through 2004, Russian hockey plummeted because there were no funds available, and by 2005 a recovery and reconstruction in Russian hockey occurred that is starting to produce some real depth and quality. So your statistics will be skewed if you take a 20-year sample, because you are dealing with completely incomparable realities.