View Single Post
Old
12-05-2012, 02:32 PM
Frozenice
the random dude

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyReb View Post
Which would make for a pretty interesting court case, don't you think?

"I'm of legal age to work, I have all the necessary qualifications to work in this industry, and I have a company willing to sign me to work for them. And yet this other entity says I am not allowed to work because they do not have an agreement with a union that no longer exists and of which I was never a part of."

If the NHL's "approval" was a necessary stamp to sign any player then why is decertification even a possibility or suggestion? The thing is nobody knows what exactly the legal ramifications of decertification would be, nobody knows what would happen if a player, prospect or otherwise, signs with a team. Maybe NHL approval would be necessary. Maybe it wouldn't be. It would be ultimately up to a judge to decide, and IF the NHLPA wanted to decertify I'm pretty sure they wouldn't rubber stamp a fantasy draft as suggested above. They'd want those players in the mix too, just to make it all that more difficult and complex and muddled. It's the stick that they hope encourages the NHL to bend.
I'm not disputing what you are saying, but for me the problem is what happens after the union decertifies. I'm not sure what the legal ramifications are either but I'm fairly certain that the NHL won't allow games to be played until Bettman and the majority of the owners are happy with the agreements in place.

I haven't seen any rules that mandate the NHL play any number of games or have a season at all if the owners don't feel that it's in their best interest to do so. The players may win every battle in court but that doesn't mean that the NHL will play any games at all under these rules. I can see the NHL telling the players that the doors are locked and will remain so until they change their attitude.