View Single Post
Old
12-05-2012, 02:57 PM
Big Phil

vCash: 500
I have a hard time believing Russia can ever be like they were in the 1970s/1980s. These were years when their best was more or less neck and neck with Canada in a short tournament. Throw in a couple of blowout wins like the 1981 Canada Cup in there. I can't see them ever getting there again.

I agree with an earlier post. The USA almost seemed to spike back in the 1990s. The USA could ice a pretty good roster in 1996, 1998 and even 2002 (although the core was aging at the time). Their best do not compare to the era of the Modano, Leclair, Hull, Roenick, Tkachuk, Chelios, Leetch, Richter era. Not even close quite frankly. It will take a long time to see the USA have that type of top notch talent again.

Sweden went so long with terrible World Junior results I have to wonder if they ever can get back to what they were. You think of all those Silver medals they won in the 1990s with the WJC and then look at their placings in the 2000s. They won gold last year for the first time in 31 years so who knows.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote